It was in the 1680s, when Charles XI of Sweden took into possession the northern and southern parts of Djurgården, an island in central Stockholm, turning them into hunting grounds.
The area, Loudden, also got its name thanks to blood sport - "lodjur" is Swedish for "lynx." A few centuries passed by, and in 1926 the authorities decided that a harbour will be erected there. The aim was to centralise the turnover of liquids, which from the beginning of the century scattered all over the capital city and nearby premises. Construction works of the first phase, including a link to the country's rail network, continued to 1932. Oil caverns were added in the 1949-1955 period.
Nevertheless, in the autumn of 1999, the authorities once again cast their decision upon Loudden's fate. Cargo operations will cease by end-2019, and the whole neighbourhood will become a housing district, with the first apartments to be ready by 2030.